Have I mentioned yet that I have a goat? I didn't think so. The way it came about was this: We had a goat who was everybody's favorite goat, and she had a kid, and died about a week later. So I nursed her kid (whom I named Jemima - after her mother) for a while, until I got one of the other mama goats - whose kids we had sold already - to nurse her for me. She's nearly a year old, she's going to kid soon, and she still calls to me whenever she hears my voice. It's soo cute! ^-^ I can't wait to see what her kids will be like!
I am also taking care to be sure she is good and healthy, because I worry she might die like her mother. (who was about five when she had Jemima) we didn't mean for her to get mated, but the buck got into her pen, so here we are. Now I take her for walks to get plenty of green and growing food, and I give her a handful or so of grain at milking time. When we - if we - move, I plan on taking her (and the goat who nursed her for me) with us.
I have some pictures of her with her mother when she was a baby - she looks much more like her mother now, her fur colour has lightened a lot. When she was first born it looked black, because it was wet. When it dried out it didn't look quite so dark, but still much darker than her mother's fur.
Jemima's first bath:
"Stay away from those nubians!"
Aren't they cute~?
No comments:
Post a Comment