Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Suddenly

I'm at my grandmother's house right now, because Pa died Monday morning. We drove through the night to get here. He'd been diagnosed with glioblastoma about a year ago now. It was rather, well... Mama and Elaienar left Houston to drive my grandmother back home one Monday. Wednesday they left her house and drove to our great grandmother's house, and Friday afternoon they got home. Meanwhile, Pa had to be taken to the hospital. My grandmother said that the nurse told her he'd been fighting to wait until she got back to get much worse. He went downhill fast after that. It was kind of a shock to me, because for some reason I'd thought they were going to be able to cure the cancer. I only found out Sunday afternoon, less than a day before he died, that they hadn't been expecting him to recover. His funeral will be on Thursday, and then we have to leave right after to drive back home, since my recital is on Friday. We won't get back until Friday afternoon, of course, but it'll be enough time to get ready, and should be enough time to pick up the friend I was planning on taking with me to listen. SHOULD BE. I hope.

Like I said, we drive the night through, but I didn't sleep until the sun had started coming up. And that was probably only because I had to since the exhaustion had made me car sick like I haven't been since I was eleven or twelve. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep on the way back. Also hopefully, I'll be able to help drive on the way back, since I do have my learner's permit. Mama didn't want me to help drive on the way here because it's been well over a month since I had my first and only driving lesson with her. She said she'll try and help me practice while we're here, though, so I should be able to help drive a bit on the way back.

No comments: